Friday, May 16, 2008

Article in June Self Magazine

There is an interesting article in the June 2008 edition of SELF magazine. It is titled ""When there is no good choice" and it is written by Jennifer Wolff-Perrine. The article profiles three women who were each given a poor prenatal diagnosis during their pregnancy. Two of the three decided to terminate, one chose to carry to term and pursue hospice care.
The article's main focus was the recent ban on the D&X procedure and how that is tying the hands of doctors in being able to care for their patients. Many doctors are now afraid of "big brother" looking over their shoulder every time they assist a woman in terminating a pregnancy. It's gotten to the point where doctors are choosing to protect themselves (by not providing abortion services) rather than do everything possible to help their patients. Sad. :(
All in all, it was a very well researched and and well written article. Kudos to the writer for being brave enough to tackle such a prickly topic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss and what you had to go through. It sounds like you were lucky enough to have a supportive family who understood what you were facing. Raised as a Catholic, abortion in any form is something I am supposed to completely renounce, but I have never been able to do so. I think those opposed to abortions are misinformed. I’m sure that many of those women who have judged those that face with that choice have NEVER had to make these difficult choices themselves. I read this article this morning before work and have been looking for a printable version since!! My four sisters and I are at very different ends of the spectrum on this issue and I think that reading this article may open their eyes, hopefully at least one of them. It gave an honest view of an excruciatingly difficult choice that no woman should have to make, let alone have someone else make for her and her family.

Me said...

Not everyone in my family was supportive. I had some issues with my father who is a born-again Christian. He very much disagreed with my decision, but loved and respected me enough to not keep hitting me over the head with his opinion at every turn.
It's been 5 years and I'm sure he still thinks I made the "wrong" decision. But it was MY decision and I am at peace with it. He supports my efforts in reaching out to others and is proud of me for making something good come out of such a horrible tragedy.
I don't think there is a printable version of the article at this point. :(

Me said...

The article has been posted on the MSNBC website. See here - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24844532/

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!! I'm printing this out and giving it to my mom and sisters!!!